MULTIPLE TAPE BACKUPS

KJB6 at psuvm.psu.edu KJB6 at psuvm.psu.edu
Tue Mar 19 23:30:40 AEST 1991

I have to do multiple backups to a tape.     Being in a university environment,
 some of the students files are growing quit large. I have done the following
commands and they seem to be working fine most of the time:

    mt -t /dev/nrtape  rewind
    mt -t /dev/nrtape  feom   --- go to the end of data on the tape
    mt -t /dev/nrtape  status --- mark where to start archiving
    bru -cvf /dev/nrtape  $filename

I have a few questions: 1). How to tell when running out of space on the tape.
I am using blank tapes but I do not the exact size of them. Does bru know enoug
h when it needs a new tape? 2). What is the difference between /dev/nrtape and
/dev/tape? nrtape stands for "no rewind" I think, but what does that mean?

Has anyone else ever done this type of backups before, and if so, does this
script of mine look OK?

 Ken