AT&T "nth Edition" vs. "Release n"

Doug Gwyn gwyn at smoke.brl.mil
Mon Mar 11 07:59:16 AEST 1991

In article <6436 at auspex.auspex.com> guy at auspex.auspex.com (Guy Harris) writes:
>... System III derives from UNIX/TS 1.0 or some such thing ...

Of course, recent versions of most UNIX variants incorporate major
features from a variety of earlier versions of UNIX.  UNIX System V
Release 4.0, in particular, incorporates in a (hopefully consistent)
single system practically all useful features from previous 4BSD and
Xenix releases.

>And no, I said "family DAG", not "DAG's family"; as far as I know, Doug
>is the only member of the Gwyn family involved with UNIX. :-))

Yup.  Perhaps you should have explained that by "DAG" you meant Directed
Acyclic Graph: "directed" by the flow of time, "acyclic" since effects
cannot precede their causes, and "graph" since each OS release can be
treated as a node with having an effect on another OS release being
treated as a (directed) edge.

I personally am not a directed acyclic graph; I'm as loopy as they come.
	- DAG