Long /etc/group

-=Runaway Daemon=- frechett at spot.Colorado.EDU
Wed Mar 6 18:47:04 AEST 1991

In article <26192 at adm.brl.mil> wolf at grasp1.univ-lyon1.fr (Christophe Wolfhugel) writes:
|>I have a long group in my /etc/group file, with over 512 caracters in the
|>line. Editor ed does not support longer lines, but I can continue to
|>extend the line with vi.
|>
|>So my question: is there any limit for the system in the length of a
|>/etc/group entry? Is yes, how long, and how could I solve this? Create
|>a second entry for the same group? or... ?
I don't know if anything relating to the use of the /etc/group file is going to
object but you will find that since vi is a "visual" editor it gets really
upset if you try to edit a line that won't fit on the screen.  I have done it
before and it is quite a mess.  It resulted in numerous core dumpings and such.
The way to get around this at that point is to make a little perl script
because as we all know by now, perl can do anything. ;)  Actually, it is just
that perl care how long a single line is and in many cases it is benficail to
turn a whole file into one line so that perl can do something special to it.

|>--
|>Christophe Wolfhugel (on irc: Zolf)   |  Email: wolf at grasp1.univ-lyon1.fr
|>INSA Lyon - Departement Informatique  |  IRC'admin at node grasp1.univ-lyon1.fr
|>69621 Villeurbanne Cedex, France      |  Fax: (+33) 72 44 08 00

	ian
--
Ian Frechette *UNIXOPS* University of Colorado at Boulder