DELETE/BACKSPACE key paradox on RS/6000

Guy Harris guy at auspex.auspex.com
Sun Mar 17 06:04:41 AEST 1991

>I rather doubt that any of the UNIX variants you listed really would
>default to use of ASCII DEL for the "erase" character, as long-standing
>UNIX convention is to use DEL as the interrupt key.

I don't doubt it in the least, because I've *used* SunOS, and it *does*
default to DEL.

BSD defaults to DEL, because the conventions *it* uses by default are
those of DEC operating systems (except for the end-of-file character;
DEC OS's tend to use ^Z, as I remember, but BSD uses the UNIX ^D
convention for end-of-file, and uses ^Z for "suspend").  A number of the
OS's the original poster listed as using DEL for the "erase" character
inherited that convention from BSD.