Passing parameters to an alias in ksh ...under AIX

Alan M. Carroll carroll at cs.uiuc.edu
Fri Dec 7 10:54:16 AEST 1990

In article <1235 at lafayet.UUCP>, rob at lafayet.UUCP (Rob Freyder) writes:
> I am trying to pass a parameter to an alias under AIX on the RS6000.

You cannot access parameters in ksh alias's as you can in csh. What
you want is a function, instead. Here is my code to set my xterm
title:

# <ESC> ] 0 ; string <BEL>  and string will become the title and icon name
# <ESC> ] 1 ; string <BEL>  for icon name only
# <ESC> ] 2 ; string <BEL>  for title name only

# control codes removed - you'll have to fix them on your end.
XTITLEPRE="^[]2;"
XICONPRE="^[]1;"
XPOST="^G"

unalias cd
function CD
    {
    \cd $@
    PRWD=${PWD##${HOME}}
    if [ ! "${PRWD}" = "${PWD}" ] ; then
	PRWD="~$PRWD"
    fi
    if [[ "$TERM" = "xterm" && "$NOXTITLE" = ""  ]] ; then
	print -n -r "${XTITLEPRE}${XTITLE}${PRWD}@${HOST}${XPOST}"
    fi
    }
alias cd=CD

# Fix up the icon title just once, with the host.
if [ "$TERM" = "xterm" ] ; then
	print -n -r "${XICONPRE}${HOST}${XPOST}"
fi

--
Alan M. Carroll                "It's psychosomatic. You need a lobotomy.
Epoch Development Team          I'll get a saw."