Setting (Recursively) Modes on Files

Kartik Subbarao subbarao at phoenix.Princeton.EDU
Fri Dec 21 07:25:59 AEST 1990

In article <FPB.90Dec20120534 at ittc.ittc.wec.com> fpb at ittc.wec.com (Frank P. Bresz) writes:

>Hi,
>	I often have the case where I want to open up an area of a
>directory to group access.  However I am using SCCS and have many files
>that should remain read only.  A mindless
>
>	chmod -R g+w .
>
>	Trashes the sanctity of SCCS by making some things group writable
>while they aren't user writable.
>
>	How can I cleanly execute this command?
>
>	awk/sed/sh/find (or whatever) accepted

Find seems up to this task.

To add group read & write permissions to any file here or lower that's
writable to the user:

find . -perm -0600 -exec chmod g+rw "{}" \;

			-Kartik

--
internet# ls -alR | grep *.c
subbarao@{phoenix or gauguin}.Princeton.EDU -|Internet