copying files

Tin Le tin at smsc.sony.com
Fri Dec 14 04:15:46 AEST 1990

In article <1990Dec5.021951.28104 at en.ecn.purdue.edu> nichols at en.ecn.purdue.edu (Scott P Nichols) writes:

>OK, let me restate my question, as none of the answers
>I recieved last time worked...
>
>Here is a listing of my home directory...
>(I use csh)
>
>% ls -la
>
>total 92
>drwxr-xr-x 10 nichols      1024 Dec  4 16:52 .
>drwxr-xr-x312 root         6144 Nov 25 17:14 ..
>-rw-------  1 nichols      1837 Dec  4 09:49 .cshrc
>drwx------  2 nichols      1024 Dec  4 16:42 .elm
>-rwxr--r--  1 nichols         0 Oct 19 01:35 .hushlogin
>-rw-r--r--  1 nichols        26 Dec  1 14:30 .informrc
>drwx------  2 nichols      1024 Dec  4 08:37 Mail
>drwx------  5 nichols      1024 Dec  2 18:59 News
>
>Do any of you UNIX wizards know how to even list all of
>the names of the files which begin '.' (besides, of course
>the files in the root (second line of list)
>
>When I type...                I get...
>______________                ________
>
>ls .*                         all of the dot files, then all files
>                              in my directory and the previous.
>
>ls .**                        all of the dot files, then all files
>                              from the previous directory
>
>ls * .???                     all files in all of my directories
>
>Any other suggestions?

   Since you are using csh, how about some regex?  Try this:

[tin] rn31 242 >/bin/ls .[a-zA-Z0-9]*
.Xdefaults     .jobdir        .oldnewsrc     .rnlast        .xinitrc.rn31
.Xinitrc       .letter        .phones        .rnlock        .xinitrc.save
.article       .login         .plan          .rnsoft
.calendar      .mailrc        .pnewsexpert   .sh_history
.cshrc         .mwmrc         .profile       .signature
.exrc          .newsrc        .rhosts        .twmrc
[tin] rn31 243 >

   Seems to do what you wanted above.

-- Tin

--
. Tin Le                    Work Internet: tin at smsc.Sony.COM
. Work: (408) 944-4157      Home Internet: tin at szebra.uu.net