how to setuid for shell scripts on ultrix?

Ray Shwake shwake at raysnec.UUCP
Thu Nov 22 04:13:44 AEST 1990

guy at auspex.auspex.com (Guy Harris) writes:

>What actually happened is that due to a particular
>unclosable-without-"/dev/fd" security hole, Berkeley sent out a 4.xBSD
>patch to disable set-UID shell scripts, which some vendors have picked
>up.

	If that's the case, then why are they not supported by default on
	non-BSD systems (like System III and V)? For us, it's academic
	since - when we *really* need to support setuid shell scripts as
	an alternative to providing higher-level access - we use a
	variant of 'setsh' - Wood & Kochan's "set shell" script found in
	_UNIX_System_Security_. Unlike the original, ours supports inter-
	active shell scripts.