What is 'expect'

Richard Harter rh at smds.UUCP
Fri Nov 23 20:23:37 AEST 1990

In article <5808 at stpstn.UUCP>, lerman at stpstn.UUCP (Ken Lerman) writes:

> No, I am not disparaging perl, because I don't know enough about it.
> But from the little I know about perl, I don't believe it solves what
> I perceive to be the problem.  What we (or I) need is a simple,
> elegant, extensible tool that is easy to learn and use.  Do people
> seriously claim that perl is it?  If so, then perhaps it is time for
> me to spend some time with my perl manual.

I have what you want.  Trust me. :-)

Seriously, I am working on a shell-like language which is supposed to
meet those requirements; I am interested in comments on the features
and capabilities that such a language should have.  The first generation
is in beta test now.

I have taken exactly the opposite tack from perl -- the syntax has been
stripped down as far as possible, and the temptation to use special
characters has been ruthlessly rejected.

If any one has comments about what features from sed/awk/perl/sh/find
etc are particularly crucial I would be interested in hearing them.
--
Richard Harter, Software Maintenance and Development Systems, Inc.
Net address: jjmhome!smds!rh Phone: 508-369-7398