System-wide .login?

Robert Claeson prc at erbe.se
Tue Nov 6 00:18:48 AEST 1990

In a recent article guy at auspex.auspex.com (Guy Harris) writes:

>If not all shells support that notion, one thing you can do is have
>everybody's ".login" or ".profile" file source the global file, although
>those users may be allowed to edit or replace their ".login" or
>".profile" file and have it not do so, so you may not be able to
>guarantee that the global file will be executed.

Some sites force all their users to have a shell (commonly sh or ksh)
that reads a system global login file, and if they want csh or something
else, exec it from their .profile's.

Robert Claeson                  |Reasonable mailers: rclaeson at erbe.se
ERBE DATA AB                    |      Dumb mailers: rclaeson%erbe.se at sunet.se
                                |  Perverse mailers: rclaeson%erbe.se at encore.com
These opinions reflect my personal views and not those of my employer.