What is 'expect'

Tom Christiansen tchrist at convex.COM
Thu Nov 15 01:55:46 AEST 1990

In article <7316:Nov1408:33:0390 at kramden.acf.nyu.edu>
brnstnd at kramden.acf.nyu.edu (Dan Bernstein) writes, quoting Randal:

>And if you just want to stick to sh for the automation, do so. Why learn
>a different language---whether TCL or Perl---if you don't have to?

Because, Dan, when we're too old to learn something new, we're already
dead and someone might as well just shoot us so the rest of the world can
get on with life.

TCL and Perl offer significant control advantages that are not simply
expressible in that ancient and tired tool, the shell.

Please stop disparaging other people's work, and please stop the constant
commercials for your own, at least on a daily basis.  There is a time and
a place for everything.

UNIX is an environment that well lends itself to multiple forms of
expression.  Pluralism is not a bug, but a feature.

Learn something new every day.

--tom