ksh 11/16/88e now available in AT&T Toolchest

Jay Maynard jmaynard at thesis1.hsch.utexas.edu
Fri Oct 5 00:57:13 AEST 1990

In article <1990Oct3.180406.16479 at murdoch.acc.Virginia.EDU> gsh7w at astsun.astro.Virginia.EDU (Greg Hennessy) writes:
>Jay Maynard writes:
>#My admiration is reserved for those who make their programs truly free...
>#Examples abound on the net: Larry Wall's rn, patch, and perl...
>I guess that you are unaware that Larry Wall is now distributing perl
>under the terms of the GPL.

I'm truly sorry to hear that...I guess that means I'll have to do without perl,
as well as gcc, g++, bash, and the other pieces of undoubtedly fine, though
GPV-tainted, software out there.

>And could you please keep your line length to below 80 characters?

I have been...(picky, picky.) Actually, I can't generate a line longer than 79
characters using the lashup I'm on without significant pain. This line is 76
characters long.

>Jay Maynard has a specific political agenda, and his software and
>licensing terms serve that agenda. Anything else is whitewash.
>Does that make you an abberation on the net?

My sole reason for existing is NOT my political agenda, unlike the FSF.

The other difference between us is that people are unlikely to forget mine,
at least in this area, while people apparently (from the postings I see)
forget the FSF's all the time.

You're right in one area, though...this has gone on in comp.unix.shell long
enough. Followups by email, please. (No, I don't get alt.religion.computer
here, either, and my home system will be down for another week or so.)
--
Jay Maynard, EMT-P, K5ZC, PP-ASEL | Never ascribe to malice that which can
jmaynard at thesis1.hsch.utexas.edu  | adequately be explained by stupidity.