flavours of shell - what is there?

=Vos G P gpvos at cs.vu.nl
Wed Oct 10 22:39:09 AEST 1990

tjc at ecs.soton.ac.uk (Tim Chown) writes:
>I would be very grateful for any pointers or hints as to
>where I can find out what different shells exist, and what
>their various pros and cons are.

Here at the V.U. Amsterdam, we have esh, or Editor Shell (sometimes called
Extended Shell). It has command line editing (user-definable keys),
a history mechanism (built into the command line editor) and job control.

It may be ditributed outside the VU, but i know of no ftp site or whatever
to get it. You may want to contact the author, Sjoerd Mullender
(sjoerd at cs.vu.nl; i'm not even sure that he still works here).
It works *very* well (IMHO as just a student), is 99.9% sh compatible
(in fact, the sources are derived from the sh sources), and quite bug-free
as far as i know. But then again, i'm not an expert on this.

-					Gerben.
--
--- Gerben Vos - Aconet: {BBCBBS,BIGBEN}!Gerben Vos - Internet: gpvos at cs.vu.nl
---- "Meine D-Marken..." -- Helmut Kohl