Shell Compilers

Ray Shwake shwake at raysnec.UUCP
Wed Oct 24 02:05:26 AEST 1990

bernie at DIALix.oz.au (Bernd Felsche) writes:

>Does anybody out there know of Broune shell script "compilers",
>specifically those which generate C language.  We have a large
>suite of shell scripts which we want to protect from tampering.

	An alternative approach would involve using a compiled program
front-end which calls a read-only shell script. One such program is
'setsh' found in Wood&Kochan's _UNIX_System_Security_. We made a few
tweaks to the program to support use of menu shells requiring interactive
input. [Note: We also used setsh to support running non-readable shell
scripts, but that requires use of setuid or setgid bits.]