Beware xargs security holes

Paul John Falstad pfalstad at phoenix.Princeton.EDU
Mon Oct 22 14:59:24 AEST 1990

In article <2113 at sixhub.UUCP> davidsen at sixhub.UUCP (bill davidsen) writes:
>  It *appears* that xenix quotes its arguments in xargs, since I did a
>small and cautious test and it worked all right. How about testing your

Even if the arguments are quoted, xargs still presents a security
problem if it calls system.  Just about any program that runs a shell is
unsecure.  If your system's xargs calls system, then someone could just create
a file with the quote character in it.  The only really safe way is to do an
execve.

--
Paul Falstad, pfalstad at phoenix.princeton.edu PLink:HYPNOS GEnie:P.FALSTAD
And Dinsdale said, "You've been a naughty boy, Clement," and splits me nostrils