~/.rhosts: put my username in there too?

Dan_Jacobson at ATT.COM Dan_Jacobson at ATT.COM
Mon Oct 29 09:08:12 AEST 1990

birger> I'm unable to post, so i mail you an answer to your question.

birger> If you know that your user-number (uid) is the same on all
birger> hosts (e.g. use of YP/NIS or other way of sharing passwd file)
birger> then you don't need your username in the file.

birger> if user foo is user number 200 on host alpha, 300 on host
birger> beta, a .rhosts file on beta saying just "alpha" won't be good
birger> enough for foo to rlogin, even if he uses "rlogin beta -l
birger> foo".

[hmm, mine seems to map on usernames, not id's]

birger> If user bar on alpha is user 200, then bar would be able to
birger> say "rlogin beta" and get logged in as foo.

[you mean 300[?], Mine still maps on usernames.]

birger> The morale is: If the passwd list is distributed (e.g. you
birger> don't need -l option for rlogin) then just hostname is secure.

birger> --
birger>       ____       ____    ____    ____   ____   birger at ii.uib.no
birger>      /   /   /  /   /   /   /   /      /   /
birger>     /   /   /  /   /   /   /   /      /   /    Birger A. Wathne
birger>    /---    /  /---    /  __   /---   /---      Blekenberg 14
birger>   /    /  /  /    /  /    /  /      /    /     N-5037 SOLHEIMSVIK
birger>  /____/  /  /    /  /____/  /____  /    /      tlf: +47-5-20 00 62
--
Dan_Jacobson at ATT.COM  Naperville IL USA  +1 708-979-6364