crontab for ordinary users

Richard Czech czech at gmdzi.gmd.de
Fri Oct 26 20:05:32 AEST 1990

fpb at ittc.wec.com (Frank P. Bresz) writes:

>In article <1294 at tardis.Tymnet.COM> jms at tardis.Tymnet.COM (Joe Smith) writes:
>	My opinion here is that nothing is needed in .cshrc to give stuff
>to a shell that isn't interactive, they should inherit all they need.
>	Now for the question (flame request) of the day.  Do people in
>general agree with me that .cshrc ought to not touch the path variable or
>the PATH env and just inherit it?

If you are using X11 it is not always true. I use to start XTerm's
on other machines with

   rsh other-machine xterm -display mymachine:0

The shell which is started in the XTerm will not inherit a PATH
variable from anywhere. It also does'nt execute the .login script
but only the .cshrc . So if the PATH variable is only set in
.login, what a shame.

One could start every XTerm as a login shell, but I prefer to put
all TERM and stty stuff behind "if ($?prompt -- 0) exit" and that
works just fine.

   regards
        Richard Czech                  e-mail: czech at gmdzi.gmd.de
          GMD-E.I.S.                             czech at gmdzi.uucp
        P.O.Box 12 40                  phone:  (+49) 2241 14 2039
D-5205 St. Augustin 1, Germany         fax:    (+49) 2241 14 2342