flavours of shell - what is there?

Dik T. Winter dik at cwi.nl
Fri Oct 12 08:03:56 AEST 1990

In article <7885 at star.cs.vu.nl> gpvos at cs.vu.nl (=Vos G P) writes:
 > tjc at ecs.soton.ac.uk (Tim Chown) writes:
 > >I would be very grateful for any pointers or hints as to
 > >where I can find out what different shells exist, and what
 > >their various pros and cons are.
 >
 > Here at the V.U. Amsterdam, we have esh, or Editor Shell (sometimes called
 > Extended Shell). It has command line editing (user-definable keys),
 > a history mechanism (built into the command line editor) and job control.
Yes, derived from dsh, derived from sh.  I know also about ash, jsh, vsh.
Especially ash is, eh, interesting; some time ago its sources have been
distributed in one of the sources groups I believe.

 > It may be ditributed outside the VU, but i know of no ftp site or whatever
 > to get it. You may want to contact the author, Sjoerd Mullender
 > (sjoerd at cs.vu.nl; i'm not even sure that he still works here).
No he does not work there anymore, so the address will fail.  Also to obtain
sources you need at least to wave with your Unix source licenses etc, and even
then....  So I think: forget it.
dik at cwi.nl