Why use find?

Conor P. Cahill cpcahil at virtech.uucp
Tue Oct 9 09:28:38 AEST 1990

In article <106928 at convex.convex.com> tchrist at convex.COM (Tom Christiansen) writes:
>In article <1990Oct7.001518.14216 at diku.dk> kimcm at diku.dk (Kim Christian Madsen) writes:
>>cpcahil at virtech.uucp (Conor P. Cahill) writes:
>>Maybe not on your system, but on my system (a SYSV) system, find perfoms
>>a getpwd(3C) each time it enters a directory, and getpwd(3) is by
>>standard implemented by forking a shell to do a pwd(1) in oorder to
>>get the result ... This makes it slow.

Hey, I didn't say that (carefull with those inclusions).

>What an idiotic way to implement that function.  It's also

Getcwd() works that way on most system V systems.  Since it should be
a rarely used function (normally only once per execution) it really
shouldn't matter.  It has been this was at least since PWB Unix (in
the AT&T family line).

>stupid of whoever sent out such a hopelessly slow version
>of find without optimizing that.  Bitch at your vendor.

Very true.  Most finds will only run a pwd at start up time (so it knows
where it was started from so it can start any -execs there) not each
time it enters a new directory.

                                                Sterling, VA 22170