ksh 11/16/88e now available in AT&T Toolchest

Jay Maynard jmaynard at thesis1.hsch.utexas.edu
Thu Oct 4 01:45:41 AEST 1990

In article <1990Oct2.224810.1547 at murdoch.acc.Virginia.EDU> gsh7w at astsun.astro.Virginia.EDU (Greg Hennessy) writes:
>Followups to gnu.misc.discuss, since this has little to do with unix
>shells.

We don't get gnu.misc.discuss here. Normally, I would have ignored this
posting, since Mr. Hennessy and I have had this discussion before, but I must
respond to a personal attack, and I will do so in the group where the attack
was posted.

>Jay Maynard writes:
>#Your statement is only true if you also hold to the belief that placing their
>#code in your code automatically turns your code into their code. There's only
>#one word that correctly describes that scenario: theft. The FSF has
>#stolen your
>#code, and turned it into their code, all by a couple of innocuous-sounding
>#lines in the GNU Public Virus...er...License.
>Are you spreading misinformation through ingorance or malice? While I
>don't speak for the FSF, the FSF does not consider that using FSF code
>makes your code become theirs. If you use their code in your programs,
>the copyright belongs to you both. If you wish to distribute this
>code, you have to do so in a mutually agreeable form. The FSF tells
>you up front what their terms are.

Greg, go back and reread the first sentence. Parse it out carefully. It's a
conditional. The whole paragraph applies directly only if the conditional is
true. I am not spreading misinformation, either ignorantly or maliciously. I
am doing my best to point out to anyone who might get sucked in by the FSF's
propaganda machine the ramifications of using GNU code, and showing that the
FSF isn't.

Just because you are charged $0 for the software doesn't make it free. If the
FSF was subject to truth in advertising laws, they'd have to change their name
and publicity.

>What the FSF is doing is by no stretch of the imagination theft.

Then what is it? They're telling me what I can do with my property.
--
Jay Maynard, EMT-P, K5ZC, PP-ASEL | Never ascribe to malice that which can
jmaynard at thesis1.hsch.utexas.edu  | adequately be explained by stupidity.