awk

Booker bense booker at network.ucsd.edu
Wed Oct 3 01:58:03 AEST 1990

In article <8678 at mirsa.inria.fr> mmartin at orphee.inria.fr (Michel MARTIN) writes:
>When I type
>
>	awk ' { while (getline <"lettre" > 0 ) } '
>
>I've an error like
>
>	awk: syntax error near line 1
>	awk: illegal statement near line 1
>
>Does someone knows a solution please
>tanks a lot

- You probably have an older version of awk than the one documented in the
book " The Awk Programming Language" by A. W. & K. . The one in the book
doesn't come with most unix systems. You have to buy it from ATT. They
also have a nifty tool I wish we could get which takes awk programs and
writes c code.

I haven't found a way to get older awk to read more than one file. Mostly
I get around this by using multiple awk programs that pipe output into
each other.

Booker C. Bense

/* benseb at grumpy.sdsc.edu */

grep ?!$ Isn't that something that sticks to your shoes ? %-) &-) 8-)