Implementing a Timeout During Shell Script Data Entry

Dan_Jacobson at ATT.COM Dan_Jacobson at ATT.COM
Wed Oct 24 09:53:47 AEST 1990

Bernd> The following seems to work for me:
[...]

Well, I just stuck this in the middle of my .profile this morning...
seems to work:

test -n "$program" &&
	sec=8 &&
	trap 'trap 2' 2 &&
	echo "you got $sec seconds to interrupt before
		\"$program\"... \c" &&
	sleep $sec &&
	trap 2 &&
	eval $program

Bernd> Hope that does the trick.
I hope so too... even though there might be tiny intervals where an
interrupt would spoil the fun.
--
Dan_Jacobson at ATT.COM  Naperville IL USA  +1 708-979-6364