ksh 11/16/88e now available in AT&T Toolchest

Chet Ramey chet at cwns1.CWRU.EDU
Thu Oct 4 00:08:28 AEST 1990

In article <APS.90Oct3040434 at kaarne.tut.fi> aps at tut.fi (Suntioinen Ari) writes:

>=> 	2) The ksh is a miserable piece of junk, when compared to the
>=> 	GNU superset shell, BASH (which supports ksh-like vi-type
>=> 	editing, and built-in help, among other things).  GNU is free,
>=> 	with modifiable source; ksh costs money.
>
>BASH is great, it dumps core and has clear documentation.

Well, I guess you're entitled to a full refund.

Korn first released ksh in 1982.  Bash has had a year.  Give us time to
catch up.

As to documentation, FTP to cwns1.ins.cwru.edu (129.22.8.43) for a very
detailed bash manual page.  It's in pub/bash/bash.1.  There's also a
Postscript version there in bash.PS.  The next release of bash will have
an `FSF-style' texinfo manual.  I've proofed it; I know it exists.

The next release of bash should also be much more stable.  Brian is in
the process of merging two slightly divergent versions -- his and mine.
I run mine here as sh on several machines (all 4.3 BSD, but then that's
what we've got...), and haven't had a version that wasn't in the middle
of some development cycle dump core in months.  I would expect the merged
version to be just as reliable.

(By the way, I don't mind Larry posting ksh announcements here.  In fact,
I'd like him to post a list of changes between 88d and 88e, if he would.
I'm always looking for reasonable ksh features to incorporate into bash.)

Chet

--
Chet Ramey				``Levi Stubbs' tears run down
Network Services Group			  his face...''