Tcsh/Ftp problem

nu rganesh at omicron.cs.fsu.edu
Tue Oct 2 22:56:41 AEST 1990

  I have a strange problem here.  I was using csh until recently and everything
was fine.  I switched to tcsh and ftp doesn't seem to work (ie ftp to a machine
which has tcsh as your primary shell).  Every time I try a ftp (both from the
same machine and from another machine), it gives me a :
 530 User rganesh
     Access Denied.
  I checked for the existence of a .netrc file and many others.  I cannot think
of any reason why a change in shells might cause ftp not to work.
  For those who think that is strange.....
  I have a the same version of tcsh running on a sun3-sunos3.5 and a sun3-sunos
4.0.3.  Ftp works fine to the sunos3.5 machine and not to the sunos4* machine.
There should be no compatibility problems since the home directories for users
are mounted.
  Any ideas?

Ganesh Rangarajan                                 rganesh at nu.cs.fsu.edu
System Support Group                              postmaster at cs.fsu.edu