Csh question: Doing cd .. from a symbolically linked directory

Jerry Liebelson jerry at slhisc.uucp
Thu Oct 25 01:01:01 AEST 1990

*SEND REPLIES TO: uunet!slcpi!slhisc!jerry
 SITUATION:

   1. cd /tmp
   2. mkdir -p a/b
   3. ln -s a/b c

 PROBLEM:

   1. cd /tmp/c
   2. pwd    (output is "/tmp/c")
   3. cd ..
   4. pwd    (output is "/tmp/a", not "/tmp" ! )

 QUESTION:
   Is there a way to set things in the csh such that when I do the cd ..
 from /tmp/c, I will end up in /tmp and not in /tmp/a?
 I tried setting the hardpaths variable but that just changes the output
 of pwd when I am in /tmp/c (displaying "/tmp/a/b" instead of "/tmp/c").

 COMMENT:
   I know the behavior I want can be achieved in the Korn Shell.  But I
 am stuck with the Csh for now.

--
         Jerry Liebelson                   uunet!slcpi!slhisc!jerry
    Distributed Infrastructure             (212) 341-3166  FAX: (212) 528-0101