Can U pipe filenames to rm???

Kim Christian Madsen kimcm at diku.dk
Tue Oct 2 17:08:35 AEST 1990

peter at ficc.ferranti.com (Peter da Silva) writes:

>In article <1990Sep29.001151.11544 at diku.dk> I wrote:
>> If you're sure the output of the ninstall does not exceed the limit of
>> what the shell you're using can handle...

>> 	ninstall .... | xargs rm

>> However, if the filelist from ninstall et al. does exceed the shell buffer...

>	ninstall .... | xargs rm

>xargs will split the commandline into chunks the shell will handle.

Sorry for the misunderstanding that I confused by saying that xargs is
limited by the shell buffer size... However, I have run across a version
of xargs that exactly does what it isn't supposed to do: take stdin in one
chunk and if it doesn't fit -- too bad.... And that's what triggered my
response, however the I suppose the remaining 99% of xargs will do the
job nicely.

						Kim Chr. Madsen