What should be in .cshrc vs .login

Jonathan I. Kamens jik at athena.mit.edu
Tue Oct 23 14:59:11 AEST 1990

  The default Athena .cshrc file checks for the existence of the environment
variable ENV_SET.  If it exists, then the environment is assumed to have been
initialized properly, and no path setting etc. is done.  If it doesn't exist,
then the .cshrc does the necessary environment initialization.

  Our users log into X displays the vast majority of the time, and our X login
setup doesn't even *look at* .login, so putting the initialization stuff there
isn't an option.  Putting it in .cshrc, however, makes it work both for X
logins and for dialup logins (which do use .login, obviously :-).

--
Jonathan Kamens			              USnail:
MIT Project Athena				11 Ashford Terrace