Why use find?

Tom Christiansen tchrist at convex.COM
Sun Oct 7 16:04:04 AEST 1990

In article <1990Oct7.001518.14216 at diku.dk> kimcm at diku.dk (Kim Christian Madsen) writes:
>cpcahil at virtech.uucp (Conor P. Cahill) writes:
>Maybe not on your system, but on my system (a SYSV) system, find perfoms
>a getpwd(3C) each time it enters a directory, and getpwd(3) is by
>standard implemented by forking a shell to do a pwd(1) in oorder to
>get the result ... This makes it slow.

What an idiotic way to implement that function.  It's also
stupid of whoever sent out such a hopelessly slow version
of find without optimizing that.  Bitch at your vendor.
Are all AT&T versions really this dumb?

>How about grouping selection criterias and the precedence of the -a and
>-o (and & or) operators when grouping selection criterias ???

Ug.  1 criterion.  2 or more criteria.  Never criterias.

--tom
--
 "UNIX was never designed to keep people from doing stupid things, because
  that policy would also keep them from doing clever things." [Doug Gwyn]