flavours of shell - what is there?

Calvin Goodrich calvin at sequent.UUCP
Fri Oct 5 01:01:02 AEST 1990

In article <4278 at ecs.soton.ac.uk> tjc at ecs.soton.ac.uk (Tim Chown) writes:
>I realise this is a bit of an open question, but ...
>
>I would be very grateful for any pointers or hints as to
>where I can find out what different shells exist, and what
>their various pros and cons are.
>
>The ones I know of are simply:
>	sh	 csh	 bash	 ksh
>
>Are there others?  Where are they principally available from?
>(I've had difficulty locating ksh for SunOS Unix - is it restricted?)
>
>Many thanks,
>		Tim

here's a little known shell ...

nsh:

	NutSHell, the smallest UnixTM shell yet. Version 1.0 (the only
one released so far) includes only 'cd' and 'echo <string constant>'.
GNU-nsh, to be released later this year, is expected to be much more
powerful, with built-in Bourne, Korn and C shell emulators. The executable
is expected to go from 306 bytes to 7Mb with this release, however.

(all this comes with a huge :]. i mean really this is one of the few groups
 i've seen that hasn't had any injected humor. ripped off without permission
 from rec.humor.)

calvin.