How to pipe stderr to a command in Bourne or Korn shell

Bob McGowen x4312 dept208 bob at wyse.wyse.com
Tue Oct 9 09:41:52 AEST 1990

In article <6133 at ge-dab.GE.COM> coleman at sunny.DAB.GE.COM (Richard Coleman) writes:

>--
>In article <1990Oct8.165133.17187 at cti-software.nl>, pim at cti-software.nl (Pim Zandbergen) writes:
>|>
>|> How can one redirect stderr to a command while leaving stdout unaffected ?
		^^^^^^^^	^^^^^^^^^^^^

>For csh and bash try       (command > temp1) >& temp2
>For sh                      command 2> temp
>
>somebody else will have to handle ksh.

The question was how to redirect to a command, not a file.  You might think
that something like 2| would work, but it doesn't (at least in sh, I have
no ksh to try it on).

I have tried several permutations of re-ordering file descriptors and trying
to use new ones with the _exec- builtin but have had no success yet.

Bob McGowan  (standard disclaimer, these are my own ...)
Product Support, Wyse Technology, San Jose, CA
..!uunet!wyse!bob
bob at wyse.com