How to pipe stderr to a command in Bourne or Korn shell

Mark A. Emanuele emanuele at overlf.UUCP
Sun Oct 14 07:02:49 AEST 1990

In article <1990Oct8.165133.17187 at cti-software.nl>, pim at cti-software.nl (Pim Zandbergen) writes:

> How can one redirect stderr to a command while leaving stdout unaffected ?

I'm not 100% sure but logically this should work.

command1 2>tempfile &
tail -f tempfile | command2

the only problem I think would be that the tail -f would never end.

another solution:
again I'm not sure but here goes:

command1 2|command2

I have not tried either of these .  let me know if they work.

--
Mark A. Emanuele
V.P. Engineering  Overleaf, Inc.