sh vs. sh5 in ultrix

BURNS,JIM gt0178a at prism.gatech.EDU
Wed Sep 5 12:18:36 AEST 1990

in article <MEISSNER.90Sep4112609 at osf.osf.org>, meissner at osf.org (Michael Meissner) says:
> IMHO, I think Pyramid's solution (separate att/ucb universes) is the
> wrong solution.  I want a merged system, not two systems under the
> same roof......

Sequent Dynix did the same thing, and the ATT universe is CRIPPLED *if*
you try to use it by itself. However, I've been adding the ATT bin
directories to my UCB universe path, and this works fine for all
pre-compiled ATT universe commands - including very SysV specific things
like ipcs/ipcrm to manage shared mem. & other IPCs. The only time I need
to switch to the ATT universe (usually just by prefixing the current
command with ATT, tho' I could go interactive) is when I want 'cc' to link
in ATT libraries and include files, or I want to look at SysV versions of
the man pages. (For some reason ATT man doesn't use 'more' - it's not even
in the ATT bin directories.)
--
BURNS,JIM
Georgia Institute of Technology, Box 30178, Atlanta Georgia, 30332
Internet: gt0178a at prism.gatech.edu