UNIX equivalent to DOSEDIT ??

Dave Levenson dave at westmark.UUCP
Sat Sep 15 12:32:32 AEST 1990

In article <1990Sep11.230946.23611 at midway.uchicago.edu>, phd_jacquier at gsbacd.uchicago writes:

> I am a beginner at UNIX and have the following question.
> Why is there not a simple way to recall, edit and reissue old commands
> like in DOS with dosedit or scrollrecall, or in VMS ?

You don't indicate whose UNIX you're running.  Most of them offer an
alternative to the standard /bin/sh known as ksh (also called
k-shell or Korn shell, after David Korn, its creator).  Ksh offers
command history with editing (use either vi- or emacs-style editing
commands) and several other convenience features.

--
Dave Levenson			Voice: 908 647 0900  Fax: 908 647 6857
Westmark, Inc.			UUCP: {uunet | rutgers | att}!westmark!dave