changing a ! to a \nC where \n is a newline

Conor P. Cahill cpcahil at virtech.uucp
Fri Sep 21 23:48:32 AEST 1990

In article <2965 at wyse.wyse.com> bob at wyse.UUCP (Bob McGowen x4312 dept208) writes:
>>> In article <1990Sep18.023649.1336 at virtech.uucp> cpcahil at virtech.UUCP (Conor P. Cahill) writes:
>>>   >:1,$s/!/<ctrl>-V<Return>C/g	(this will appear as:1,$s/!/^MC/g)
>>> This will put carriage returns in the file, not newlines.
>
>If the input ^M were made into a linefeed the file should still be UNIX
>only double spaced (in this example).  So under XENIX 2.[23].x and AT&T
>UNIX SysV/386 Rel 3.2 there is no conversion of cr to nl set by vi.
>Other systems may do this and I would be interested in knowing which ones.

As far a I know it works (replaces with a newline) this way on every system.
Obviously that isn't the case. I have tried it (and know it works that way)
on Sun OS, HP-UX, Ultrix, and Interactive (both 2.2 and 2.0.2).

I don't have it running anymore to check, but I am pretty sure it
worked this way under microport unix & Bell Tech unix.

                                                Sterling, VA 22170