pipe equivalent to /dev/null ???

Dave Lee dave at dptechno.UUCP
Fri Sep 14 09:08:54 AEST 1990

In article <3841 at se-sd.SanDiego.NCR.COM> rns at se-sd.SanDiego.NCR.COM (Rick Schubert) writes:
>In <8720001 at hpdmd48.boi.hp.com> oscarh at hpdmd48.boi.hp.com (Oscar Herrera) writes:
>
>>Is there an equivalent 'pipe' like entity to /dev/null ?
>>What I'd like to do is something like this
>>	anycommand | bitbucket
>
>I've seen responses of
>	anycommand | true
>and
>	anycommand | cat >/dev/null
>
>What about
>	anycommand | :
>?
>
>I'm not sure if this is shell-specific, but it works with the Bourne
>shell and the C shell, at least on our system.

Beautiful !. Elegent and clean. (Although I still dont know why ">/dev/null"
wont do...)

I Tried this in /bin/csh on a HP-UX 7.0 system 9000/345 and got the most
interesting message

	Reset tty pgrp from 391 to 366

Then a quick "Jobs" command gives

	[2]  -Broken pipe          yes |

Another quick "Jobs" shows nothing.

a strings on /bin/csh shows
	Reset tty pgrp from %d to %d

Just what is this trying to say?  Am I supposed to change prgrp or is the shell
just telling me it has.

Which shell, the parent or the forked ":" ?.

--
Dave Lee
uunet!dptechno!dave