Korn Shell on SVR4 (was: Is Unix V.4 a Kornshell system?)

Chris Calabrese cjc at ulysses.att.com
Wed Sep 26 00:01:17 AEST 1990

In article <1990Sep20.171821.9033 at cbnewsc.att.com> pgn at cbnewsc.att.com (Novorolsky) writes:
>SVR4 supplies several shells, and yes, Korn shell is one of them.
>As an additional item, the SVR4 ksh has some new features,
>my favorite is job control. You can now move processes from foreground
>to background and back. (Nothing new to csh users..., BTW, csh
>is also supplied with SVR4.)

This is not a shell issue, but an OS issue.  Ksh has had job control
for some years when run on OS' which support it.  This includes BSD,
SunOS, some versions of System V hacked up by Dave Korn, and others.

It is standard System V which did not support job control, whether you
were using csh or ksh.
Name:			Christopher J. Calabrese
Brain loaned to:	AT&T Bell Laboratories, Murray Hill, NJ
att!ulysses!cjc		cjc at ulysses.att.com
Obligatory Quote:	``pher - gr. vb. to schlep.  phospher - to schlep light.philosopher - to schlep thoughts.''