Shell selection

MIKE PATTERSON ae221mp at prism.gatech.EDU
Wed Sep 12 12:10:04 AEST 1990

I have a few novice questions concerning unix shells.
I know that a variety exists: C-shell, Bourne shell, Korn
shell.  However, I'm not aware of _why_ there are several
shells as opposed to one.  Please try to address the
following:

  1) Are there shells other than those mentioned above?
  2) Is any one shell more popular among users than the others?
  3) Is any one shell more popular among installations than
     the others, and why?

The reason for asking is that I don't care to learn about
all of the shells - I'd rather devote my time to the one
shell most likely to suit my changing needs over a period
of years.  The machine now at my disposal has the three
shells mentioned above.  Since each seems to be equally
cryptic, I'd like to stay with just one.

I realize that these are questions subject to opinions so
please respond with whatever facts you know.  E-mail is
fine for responses.

Thanks in advance,

MIKE PATTERSON
uucp:	  ...!{decvax,hplabs,ncar,purdue,rutgers}!gatech!prism!ae221mp
Internet: ae221mp at prism.gatech.edu
Internet: ae221mp at prism.gatech.edu