command line prompt (need current directory)

BURNS,JIM gt0178a at prism.gatech.EDU
Mon Sep 17 00:52:47 AEST 1990

in article <1990Sep14.135525.8981 at usenet.ins.cwru.edu>, chet at cwns1.CWRU.EDU (Chet Ramey) says:
> This will not export the functions to separate invocations of ksh.  Only
> shells `spawned' by ksh to execute scripts will inherit these function
> definitions.  There is no way to export functions to separate invocations
> of the shell; you must do it via the $ENV file.

Actually, I do put my functions in .kshrc. I include the typeset also
because I find vi is funny about what it includes in a subshell, and
wasn't defining my ll() function w/o the typeset. As a matter of fact,
most of what is in my .kshrc is there instead of in .profile, not because
I want to maintain compatibility w/ /bin/sh, but because of vi's quirks.

> The Korn Shell and Bash will do alias substitution first.  It's really the
> last stage of token recognition rather than part of command execution.  For

Sorry, of course you're right. I tested his function (calling it cp) to
be sure of the evaluation order, but then my mind short circuited when I
wrote that builtins executed before aliases as well. :-)
--
BURNS,JIM
Georgia Institute of Technology, Box 30178, Atlanta Georgia, 30332
Internet: gt0178a at prism.gatech.edu