Help needed with conditional statement for alias in csh

Chris Torek chris at mimsy.umd.edu
Fri Sep 21 23:17:46 AEST 1990

[on && and || in csh]

In article <1990Sep21.093645.16163 at eua.ericsson.se>
per at erix.ericsson.se (Per Hedeland) writes:
>I spoke for *the* C-shell, as found in the BSD distribution (I wouldn't
>dream of claiming any ownership:-). If someone distributes a shell where the
>meaning of && and || is reversed, it certainly isn't the C-shell ...

Hm, well, there never was `the' C shell, but rather several different
C shells, at least as of the first VAX distribution.  (The sources for
csh included an assembly-language _doprnt function, and clearly this was
different from the version on the PDP-11 2BSD distribution.)

At any rate, there are two major variants of the C shell, one lacking
job control.  The one without job control (which was the one in the 3BSD
VAX distribution) also had the bug with && and || being reversed.  No
doubt this is the one that was used as a base for the Xenix C shell.
--
In-Real-Life: Chris Torek, Univ of MD Comp Sci Dept (+1 301 405 2750)
Domain:	chris at cs.umd.edu	Path:	uunet!mimsy!chris