tcsh source without csh source license

Christos S. Zoulas christos at theory.tn.cornell.edu
Tue Apr 2 15:48:47 AEST 1991

In article <1991Apr2.021637.8421 at maverick.ksu.ksu.edu> tar at math.ksu.edu (Tim Ramsey) writes:
>art at pilikia.pegasus.com (Art Neilson) writes:
>
>>tar at math.ksu.edu (Tim Ramsey) writes:
>>> [ article asking about tcsh sources deleted .. ]
>
>>>There are also tar files for 4.3bsd and 4.3bsd-tahoe, if that's the csh
>>>sources you have.
>
>>Huh ?  Is this right ?
>>The bsd 4.3 csh source requires NO source license ?
>
>The freed BSD sources contain most of the csh sources.  I think there are
>some parts that aren't yet freed of ATT code.  The tcsh patches include
>replacements for what isn't in the BSD sources.
>
>It works, trust me.  :)

This is news to me :-)... I have not seen any 'freed' csh source around
the internet. I am pretty sure that there are no freed csh sources (with
the exception of doprnt.c and the Makefile). I also happen to know that
most of the AT&T code in csh is in sh.glob.c and tcsh does not provide
a replacement for it. If you have found a place in the internet where
you can get csh sources via anonymous ftp, that place is illegally
distributing AT&T sources.

On the brighter side 4.4BSD csh will be public domain, and tcsh-6.00
is based on that and will be free also.

christos