tcsh for root -- ok or not?

W. Phillip Moore moore at srl.mew.mei.co.jp
Tue Apr 9 14:10:53 AEST 1991

Jonathan> I see no problem with this (we do it here).  Make sure your tcsh
Jonathan> binary is in /etc/shells, though.

That and make sure the binary is local, not accessed by NFS.  One nearby
site made the error of make /usr/local/bin/bash the root shell.  Fine,
except that /usr/local is a shared NFS directory.  When the NFS server was
down, he couldn't login as root.

On our system, all shells are in /bin.

W. Phillip Moore	   				   Phone: 06-908-1431
UNIX/Network System Administrator			     FAX: 06-906-7251
Semiconductor Research Laboratory		  E-mail: moore at mew.mei.co.jp
       Matsushita Electric Works, Ltd.	1048 Kadoma, Osaka 571, Japan