using /bin/sh vars in awk

Scott "gaspo" Gasparian gaspar at inf.ethz.ch
Tue Apr 2 22:14:26 AEST 1991

ok, I know this came up awhile ago, and I dont want to bring it
up again.  However, not enuf disk to keep articles around, and
I forgot the answer:

Question: what syntax do I have to use to get awk to take /bin/sh
          variables in a shell script?

Example:  given a /bin/sh script, and an awk command in it somewheres,
          and i need to pass the var ${fred} to awk, what should
          the following line look like?

          fred="barney"
          wilma=`cat ${file1} | awk '{if($1== fred ){print("match")}}'
                                              ^^^^
             what I need is how to expand fred_|  to get awk to
          replace it with the string "barney"

Since this already came up, just email me the answer.  I've already
tried ${fred}, $fred, "${fred}" and a couple other combos.

thanks

--gaspo.

BTW, the example is just that, I don't need a different way to solve
the example.  just get the vars to awk.

| Scott "gaspo" Gasparian  --  System Administrator | _>________  _<________ |
| Dept. Informatik, Eidg. Techn. Hochschule, Zurich |/[][][][][]\/[][][][][]\|
| ETH-Zentrum,  CH-8092  Zurich.  T# 01-01-254-7205 |`oo------oo'`oo------oo'|
| gaspar at inf.ethz.ch | "Good friends we've had, or good friends we've lost,  |
| ..!ethz-inf!gaspar | along the way.In this proud land,you can't forget your|
| gaspo at scri.fsu.edu | past,so dry your tears I say. No woman, No cry." -BMW |