what shell do I have? job-control

Daniel Pfeiffer pfeiffer at irit.fr
Wed Apr 10 02:27:15 AEST 1991

Actually I don't know what shell I have.  It is about the same under
EPIX and SunOS except that the former allows echo -n only when called
as sh -B, which breaks scripts on other machines, since that's not a
standard option.  And the latter doesn't at all accept echo \c -- talk
about standards!  On neither machine the manual gives credit to the
author(s).  It looks quite Bournish and it's called /bin/sh.  But it
has (like Korn shell I believe) [ test ] as a builtin though the below
neat syntax won't work.  There is also a nifty new getopts builtin.

And of course there's job control.  Actually again and again I hear
that this is an invention of C shell, but as recently as last year in
spring I still had a csh w/o this.  It would seem to me that this is
an old (at least 6 years) feature which was then known as layered
shell (lsh).  On my machine at the time this was supposed to allow you
to switch processes and only that so you'd have to have a shell
running under this.  Alas, at the time this was broken, and since this
seems to have disappeared, so I've never seen this run.

The title says it: what shell is this???

How I would like tests (feasible since this is a builtin):

if [ test ] then
while [ test ] do

--
-- Daniel Pfeiffer				<pfeiffer at cix.cict.fr>