rsh guru req'd!

Wm E. Davidsen Jr davidsen at sixhub.UUCP
Thu Apr 25 13:00:08 AEST 1991

In article <1991Apr23.003518.4442 at leland.Stanford.EDU> dkeisen at leland.Stanford.EDU (Dave Eisen) writes:

| It isn't, and there is no real way to get around this. What I usually
| do when I want to pass something to a remote shell is to explicitly set the
| environment variable in the command, something like (using /bin/sh as the
| login shell):
|
| rsh silicon "VARIABLE=$VARIABLE; export VARIABLE; command-line"

  Not needed. When a variable is defined on a command line *not*
separated by a colon it is exported to that command only. If you were
were doing more than one command you would do it as you have shown, and
forgive me if you simplified and knew this, but for the case you show,
the simplified form:

    rsh silicon "VARIABLE=$VARIABLE command-line"

works just fine. I avoid typing at every chance because I do it so
rapidly but inaccurately.
--
bill davidsen - davidsen at sixhub.uucp (uunet!crdgw1!sixhub!davidsen)
    sysop *IX BBS and Public Access UNIX