remote shells

calvin at sequent.com calvin at sequent.com
Thu Apr 4 09:50:51 AEST 1991

In article <3688 at ux.acs.umn.edu> edh at ux.acs.umn.edu (Merlinus Ambrosius) writes:
>Is it possible to do this?
>
>#!/bin/sh
>RHOST=apple-gunkies
>rsh $RHOST 'echo here I am on $RHOST!'
>
>When I try this, it says "RHOST undefined".  I am sure this is because the
>shell on the remote host doesn't have RHOST defined (of course).  Is it
>possible to pass the definition of RHOST on through the rsh?

you might try using double quotes. that way the variable $RHOST gets parsed
before the rsh is executed.

Calvin Goodrich   / calvin at sequent.com   / a\=k)4vk!%t@$+... <EOT> (beep!)

"Scotty, we need that .sig in thirty seconds or we're all dead!"
"Och, Captain! We canna do anathin'! It's still on yir other account!"

           -- Starfleet. It's not just an adventure, it's a job. --