Problems with Job Control in csh

Kenneth B Streeter streeter at theory.lcs.mit.edu
Tue Apr 9 23:33:44 AEST 1991

I'm having problems with trying to do job control in a csh script.  I
want to be able to commence a background job (I'm using the &
metacharacter), use it for some request-handling, and then later kill
the backgrounded job.

I'm trying something like the following: (text in brackets is stuff
specific to my application, and not generally necessary)

    #!/bin/csh -f

    xterm -e "<my-executable>" &
    # <processing deleted>
    kill %1

The intent with the 'kill' is to kill the backgrounded job (the
xterm).  If I do a 'jobs' before the kill, the xterm job is listed as
an active job (Running) under job control with job number [1].
However, the kill statement terminates with "%1: No such process".

What is wrong with my understanding here?
Kenneth B. Streeter         | ARPA: streeter at im.lcs.mit.edu
MIT LCS, Room NE43-350      | UUCP: ...!uunet!im.lcs.mit.edu!streeter
545 Technology Square       | (617) 253-2614    (work)
Cambridge, MA 02139         | (617) 225-2249    (home)