tcsh for root -- ok or not?

James Cameron jc at condor.bu.edu
Mon Apr 8 16:41:48 AEST 1991

>>>>> On 8 Apr 91 03:30:15 GMT, jik at athena.mit.edu (Jonathan I. Kamens) said:

jik> In article <GPLAN.91Apr4220138 at sun9.aer.com>, gplan at sun9.aer.com (George Planansky) writes:
jik> |> I'd like to use tcsh as root's shell (specified in the passwd file entry).
jik> |> Will that cause me problems?

jik>   I see no problem with this (we do it here).  Make sure your tcsh binary is
jik> in /etc/shells, though.

jik> Jonathan Kamens			              USnail:

The only "problem" with using tcsh as the default root shell is that
when you want to upgrade your operating system, the new one might not
come with tcsh (at least SunOS has yet to do so.)  So, just remember
to change your shell before the upgrade and things are fine...otherwise
root won't be able to log in multi-user.

--
					-- James Cameron  (jc at raven.bu.edu)

Signal Processing and Interpretation Lab.  Boston, Mass  (617) 353-2879