Retrieving unique user numbers

Operator root at oakhill.sps.mot.com
Fri Apr 26 01:32:17 AEST 1991

Hello all --

I was asked by a user how to retrieve/identify the unique
user number from within the shell environment (ksh). What
he is looking for would, preferably, function in much the
same fashion as the command [echo `/usr/bin/logname`], where
the result of this op could then be piped into a subsequent
operation.

If I properly understand his request, what he is trying to
avoid is invoking an awk script to execute a search of the
/etc/passwd file; however, if an embedded shell command is
not available to fulfill this purpose, then awk it is.

Many thanks,

Vance

--
 "I like this company - they hired me, for one; besides that,
    they haven't asked me to speak for them - so I won't."