Norton Go Home! We don't want you!

Tim Tsai it1 at ra.MsState.Edu
Fri Feb 15 10:39:58 AEST 1991

In article <433 at bria>:
>In an article, ms.uky.edu!kherron (Kenneth Herron) writes:
>In my "not-quite-so-humble" opinion, armchair sysadmins deserve DOS.
>You are talking about two things here: system administration and end-use.
>In the DOS world, "end-user" and "administrator" are one in the same.
>Not so in the UNIX world.

  It is very often the case in the 386/Unix world..  With prices of
  workstations dropping, more end users will have their own Unix box on
  their desk.

>The end-user does not and should not need to know about anything other
>than logging in, reading/sending mail, and using the application(s) that
>meet his/her job requirements.  This same end-user has no use for NU.

  There are lots of computer proficient "end-users" who aren't
  sysadmins, and they'll use whatever tools they find necessary.

>Personally, I would never trust an administrator that leaned on menus
>and shrink-wrapped scripts _too_ much.  How much is too much?  I have
>encountered "sysadmins" who couldn't add a user without some sort of
>script.  Not worth a dime, IMHO.

  Sysadmins' gotta start somewhere.  Were you born with knowledge of
  Unix internals?  What's wrong with packages that ease the job of system
  administrators?  By your definition, any sysadmin that relies on a
  full-screen editor isn't worth a dime either.  A *REAL* sysadmin would
  use ed, right?

>>In article <430 at bria>:
>There is a tradeoff here.  It seems to me that making things easier for you,
>things get more convoluted for me.  No thanks.  How about putting a
>a copy of this program in /usr/local/bin and make it first in PATH for
>those end-users ...

  How does installing a package make things any more difficult for you?
  Don't you already do that on a regular basis if you are a sysadmin?
  With an undelete package, I can only see less trouble for a
  sysadmin..  For one, he/she wouldn't have to keep answering messages
  asking how to undelete a file (or at least have a solution)!  Note
  that I dislike Norton Utilities, but there are instances where an
  undelete command would've come in handy.  I don't go around
  complaining to my sysadmin about it because I know there isn't an easy
  solution...  If there IS an easy solution that doesn't create any
  hassle for the sysadmin however, I certainly would...

  [rm program deleted]

  I'm glad you aren't my sysadmin.

--
  I'd never cry if I did find a blue whale in my soup...
  Nor would I mind a porcupine inside a chicken coop.