does a zgrep exist? (zgrep <> zcat | grep)

uunet!bria!mike uunet!bria!mike
Mon Feb 18 12:58:43 AEST 1991

In an article, robobar.co.uk!ronald (Ronald S H Khoo) writes:
|Well, if you have it, zcat | grep regexp /dev/stdin would do what you wanted.
|If you can't hack a /dev/stdin driver into your kernel, then as an alternative
|you could modify grep to understand "-" as a filename.

Why, when grep assumes stdin if you only supply the regex?

	zcat file.Z | grep regex

--
Michael Stefanik, MGI Inc., Los Angeles| Opinions stated are not even my own.
Title of the week: Systems Engineer    | UUCP: ...!uunet!bria!mike